Re: Decentralization & Hierarchy
by Bagelhole1

In a message dated 1/24/01 12:23:22 PM, richard@cyberjournal.org writes:

<< Do we know for sure that a global society could function
effectively without over-arching hierarchies?  You seem
convinced, but for me the question is still an open one.

First, I have to admit to you and everyone that there is nothing I know for
sure, even this, I'm not sure of. But at the Rainbow Gatherings, started
around 1972, maybe 20,000 people or so will gather deep in nature, every
July, and live happily without a hierarchy, there are volunteer committees
who take on certain responsibilities. Decisions are made by consensus in a
circle. Same with the Nevada Peace Test demonstrations, where sometimes a few
thousand people would camp across the street from the nuclear testing site
for about a week. They are run the same way. Christiana, in Copenhagen has
existed, I believe for about 25 or more years, a community of 5000, living in
a non-hierarchical, anarchistic manner quite successfully. And there are many
more examples throughout history and presently.

<<The potential danger brought by hierarchies is abundantly
clear.  I think we need to either outlaw them - in this
future world we're considering - or we need to clearly
understand which uses are appropriate, which aren't - and how
their aggrandizing tendencies can be reliably contained.
Otherwise tyranny will surely rise again, out of competition
among hierarchies.The potential danger brought by hierarchies is abundantly
clear.  I think we need to either outlaw them - in this
future world we're considering - or we need to clearly
understand which uses are appropriate, which aren't - and how
their aggrandizing tendencies can be reliably contained.
Otherwise tyranny will surely rise again, out of competition
among hierarchies.>>

First of all, in our future society, there will be little reason to compete,
since we would be trading "owning" for access. Tyranny would assert itself,
in a world of competition, not one of cooperation. Hierarchies is not the
main reason for competition. Competition is an underlying paradigm within
capitalism. Sovereign bodies such as nations simply carry the paradigm from
the individual (micro) to the national (macro). It is sovereign entities,
from individuals to vast nations that compete in a world based on capitalism.
In a world where there is not complete community support, tyranny could
arise. The opposite of today, is a cooperative, caring society, where every
individual is truly supported as in a non-dysfunctional family. Just as at a
Rainbow Gathering or in the city of Youf, Senegal, a city of 40,000 where
police are not necessary.

In order to "contain aggrandizing tendencies", start with yourself (no, just
kidding). We don't wish to live in a society that needs to "contain" anyone.
Better to remove the perverse conditions which creates the false need to
self-aggrandize.

<<Unfortunately, in these kinds of matters, 90% of the work
goes into considering what might go wrong.>>

I feel obligated to speak out when I hear something that I think is untrue. I
consider myself a problem solver, as this is what human life is largely
about. Each day we solve problems, problems on all levels. This is what
humans are really good at (when they are functionally properly) When one
cannot solve or resolve problems, one often becomes physically ill. In my
mind, to spend 90% of the work considering what might go wrong, is not an
effective way to approach problem solving. It can be taken to an extreme,
where it is a neurosis (not life affirming). I have alot of experience in
this and so do some of my friends. You could spend many lifetimes thinking
about all the things that might go wrong. Its endless. Its quicker to think
of what's going to work the best, with whatever is available. Intuitively,
often, one can feel when something may or may not work, and sometimes you
just have to try.

My Thoughts,
Mofwoofoo Woofuaza