Re-orienting the discussion
by Alan Spector

I hope gunder frank does not subscribe from the list. Those of us with
experience in movement activism know that one form of sabotage of movement
activities is to simply create disruptions that "wear out" the serious
people.  Sometimes others, who are well-meaning,  understandably "take the
bait" and respond to personal attacks when they are attacked. But it can
have a wearing effect on the majority of readers.

Gunder Frank is one of the bright lights of this list; even when I don't
agree with him, I learn something from him. And even when he loses his
temper, he always explains the SUBSTANTIVE reason why, and we usually learn
from that also. Before giving up on a list that seems to be spinning its
wheels and not getting anywhere, it is worth trying to "reorient" the
discussion. More concrete analysis is what is most helpful--unfortunately, I
don't do much basic research into international political economy and don't
have much to offer on that dimension although on the political dimension of
analysis we all have access to information. With the world is such a state
of flux---both disintegration of old orders and agglomeration of new
alliances---there is plenty to analyze and debate,  from coffee and military
hardware in the Horn of Africa to cocaine in the Andes to oil pipelines in
West Asia, potential ethnic strife in China, possible alliances/conflict
between China/Russia/India, South Africa's developing neutrality, and so on
and on. Hopefully, as the "academic winter vacation" comes to an end, there
will be broader participation to redirect the discussion.

Alan Spector