PLP and SDS
by paul gomberg

PLP was indeed different in the context of the sorts of discussions that were occurring in SDS in the 60s. The thing I remember most clearly about the many disagreements about strategy and tactics was the way members of PLP would approach these in a principled way, saying directly and calmly, "I disagree, and here is why." By introducing Marxism into SDS, PLP tremendously raised the seriousness of political discussion. As you say, you were in grade school. I was there. I had many, many disagreements with PLP in those years; I considered myself an anarchist, and then a non-Leninist Marxist. But I always had the highest regard for the way PLP members conducted political discussion and followed through on what they said.

At the time of the split in SDS in 1969, I felt that, while my politics were closer to PLP's (that the working class was the key revolutionary force), I had serious disagreements with PLP and would work within the SDS that split from PLP. I met with a group in the summer of 1969; Bill Ayers was there to denounce PLP, but nothing he said made sense, given my experience working inside SDS with PLP members.

What you write does remind me of some members of SDS in those days. You accuse people of being "those nuts." You did not know them. Don't you have any respect of standards of evidence and truth? On what basis can you call people "nuts?"

So, again, you say things and cite Kirkpatrick Sales. But you have not given a single fact to support what you say. Isn't it possible that you are misinformed? I believe you are.

Paul

michael pugliese wrote:

Re(read) Kirkpatrick Sale's book on SDS. It's out of print alas.
Find it at your university library. You were there, I was in
elentary school but, from talking with assorted SDS vets (and
PLP'ers too, they are still around, (I talked to some at a Labor
Solidarity conference in S.F. recently, [not about Jared! about
the PRC and WTO]over the years and reading too much on the history
of the New Left) I formed a negative opinion of PLP. Think SDS
made a real mistake when they let those nuts in. Destroyed what
was fresh in the movement for inappropriate dogma. Between RYM
1, RYM 11, PLP and the Weatherman, plus of coarse COINTELPRO,
SDS was destroyed.
                                Michael Pugliese

Jared Israel when
>he was a member of PLP. I was arrested with 200 others (as was
Jared) in the
>occupation of University Hall, that led to the Harvard strike,
a series of
>events that built SDS at Harvard beyond what it had ever been,
as the leading
>political force among all students. I haven't the slightest
idea what the
>phrase "played a role in destroying SDS as a prominent member
of PLP" could
>possibly refer to.
>
>Paul
>
>debsian@pacbell.net wrote:
>
>> I'm sure the list is familiar with tenc and J. Israel. I've
cited
>> him often, as a negative example. Played a role in destroying
>> SDS as a prominent member of PLP. Denies totally the massacre
>> in Srbenica in a Australian Broadcasting Company radio debate
>> with David Rohde. Shows litle sign of having read standard
accounts
>> of Srbian and Kosovar history and politics by authors like
S.