layoffs
by Robert Ross

Colleagues,
A Korean colleague, Dr. Kun Lee, is interested in the origin of our
industrial practice of temporary layoffs.  He writes:  "I need to learn how
temporary layoffs began in the US labor market. My guess is that may be
related to the implementation of the unemployment insurance system."
I encourage you to forward this request to relevant historians.  Dr. Lee's
email address is above, and I would appreciate receiving a copy of any

Robert J.S. Ross, Ph.D
Professor of Sociology
Director, International Studies Stream
Clark University