RE: The world and George W. Bush (fwd)
by Boris Stremlin

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Boles (office) wrote:

> > Will a George W. Bush administration accelerate US decline (but would
> > such a decline be irreversible)?  Here is what Wallerstein thinks:
>
> Apparently he does.  While one would be hard pressed to disagree that a
> "decline of U.S. power in the world" is inevitable,  I've still to be
> convinced that an increase of US military power in the short run is a
> decline of US power in the short run.   And how long is the short run?
> Maybe it's actually a middle run.  In that case, when does US military power
> *begin* to decline?  Ten years from now?  Twenty?  What about what's going
> on now and in the foreseeable future?

All good points.  My own addendum to them is:  how will the world respond
when the US gets really desperate and crazy about defending its global
leadership (if it does)?  Will we see a massive Munich conference BEFORE
the hand the US is holding is completely shot?

--
Boris Stremlin
bc70219@binghamton.edu