Kosovo and DU
by wwagar

        The well-deserved flap about DU should not obscure the fundamental
evil involved in the U.S./NATO rampage against Serbia.  I do not doubt
that Serbia had in mind a campaign that would drive many ethnic Albanians
over the border, with ethnic Albanian casualties in the process pour
encourager les autres.  The U.S. once engaged in "Indian wars" to effect
the same result.  Be that as it may.

        The real point is that the United States and its "allies"
intervened in the affairs of a Balkan republic in the hope of teaching a
lesson, to wit:  do not adjust your television sets, we are in control,
and we will bomb into submission anybody who resists us.  If it helps us
to demolish your tanks by resorting to nuclear weapons, so be it.  We are
above the law, if law there be, and we will use our technology to slice
you to ribbons.  Should any civilians on the ground die in the process, so
much the worse for them!  We're not trying to save them, anyway, we're
trying to assert our hegemony.  Should any of our precious peacekeepers
die in the process, well, we never promised them a rose garden.  Besides,
they're not us!  They're expendable, right?

        Of course the ultimate jest is the "D" in "DU."  The uranium is
depleted for any serious use in weapons or energy production, but if it
remains radioactive for several millennia, hey, that's life!  Or
half-life.  Or death. ...

        Yours in disgust,

        Warren