< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: David Bohm and Dialogue - Meeting Face-to-face - Holodynamics& What Next

by Paul Broome

19 December 2000 11:23 UTC

>Capitalism is a very immature response to economic needs -- as long as
>'we the people' buy into 'capitalism' as consumers (and as a viable
>system) we show our own immaturity as well.  The mature action here is to
>'call the game' -- stop being 'consumers' -- by taking direct action we
>begin to take our power back.  Without consumers, capitalism cannot
>exist.

As I tried to draw out in a previous thread (theory and praxis) - why
is it (in general terms) that 'the public' buy  in to capitalism and
consumerism and do not challenge it? Do they elect to be consumers,
or is it something they are not aware of? Is consumerism the only
reality for them? Why is it the vast majority of the occidental
population are not willing to take action to undermine and destroy
consumerism? Why is it many (but my no mean all) in the South aspire
to this consumerism? - especially those with the power? As Marguerite
suggests, without consumers capitalism would at best not exist and at
the very least, be severely undermined. Therein lies the course to a
better world - how one goes about this of course, is unclear,
uncertain, and by no means assured.

One thing is clear (IMHO): it will not be arrived at by grandiose
projects or idealism. There will be, as others on this list have
suggested, no quick fix or magical cure. The emancipation of
humankind from both capitalism and imperialism will be a long and
painful process. We can at least seek some comfort in that the
process has started - though how the process will develop and the
course it will take are yet to avail themselves.

The communication and collaboration of small focal-specific and
locale-specific organisations, collectives, syndicates and
individuals, is the process by which any increase in a more equitable
and sustainable distribution of world development will be arrived at
- people will have to put their idealisms and probably some of their
beliefs on the shelf and work towards a goal based on general mutual
interests and ambitions - the overthrow of capitalism and imperialism.

As more of a doer than a thinker, I shall now go and put the
finishing touches to my new  (hopefully) 'centripetally' acting
initiative that you are all welcome to use to help network and share
knowledge with like-minded organsations, collectives and individuals.
This initiative is not an organisation and there is no membership.
You do not have to subscribe to a particular ideology, and we do not
make any claims to change the world overnight. Whilst it may be
considered to be an innovative initiative in many ways, it is
certainly not original nor does it claim to be unique. It simply
exists to foster and encourage communication and collaboration, and
to share and disseminate knowledge that might bring about a more
equitable and just world. Details will follow when it is ready.

Be green, be red, be black, be radical, be non-violent, be
anarchical, be spiritual, be theoretical, be academic, be activist,
but whatever you be, be collaborative and mutually respectful.

PB.