< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

re-2: W Wager - Centripetal & Holograhpic models

by Richard K. Moore

16 December 2000 18:56 UTC

Warren,

I'd like to offer a second response to your sensible
comments about the need for greater movement organization,
and your suggestion that 'centripetal' forces (World Party,
or whatever) are the appropriate candidates to satisfy that
need.

In a spirit of joint investigation, permit me to suggest
that we look at the problem in terms of its components.
Let's consider first some of the functions that one would
expect from a central organization if there were one.  I
presume some of these would be:

    (a) dissemination of movement-wide bulletins & information
    (b) provide forum for strategic discussion and coordination
    (c) provide initiative to keep things moving
    (d) provide planning and logistical support for actions
    (e) act as focal point for communication and networking
        among movement organizations
    (f) act as voice of movement to outside organizations

This kind of stuff is familiar to all of us, with our
lifetime of experiences in a hierarchialized world.

Now let's think in terms of a holographic movement, where
leadership and intiative comes from every direction, just as
every star and galaxy interacts electromagnetically and
gravitationally in a center-less universe.

In the centralized model, the problem of harmonization
becomes in some sense a problem of recruitment - bringing
more people and organizations 'on board'.  In the
holograhpic model, the problem of harmonization becomes a
problem of achieving coherence out of diversity. Centralized
harmonization naturally leads to the incremental refinement
of a single-thread platform/agenda.  Holographic harmonization
leads to parallel development of hundreds of threads, and
creates a communication matrix in which collective
understanding and consciousness can evolve rapidly and
organically, on many fronts at once.

Now consider how the centralized functions (above) might be
remapped into the holographic paradigm.  Here are some
off-the-cuff possibilities...

    (a) IndyMedia (http://www.indymedia.org) and many more like
        that, in touch with one another globally.
    (b) Various organizations take initiative to organize forums
        related to their concerns and to invite others; overall
        strategy is one of the 'threads' developed during such
        forums.
    (c) Intiative comes in parallel from many directions, in
        response to local conditions.
    (d) Organizations local to actions take primary
        responsibility for logistics; organizations generally
        collaborate on projects in their region.
    (e) Networking is the business of every movement
        organization; some organizations specialize in
        cross-pollenization and facilitation.
    (f) The movement speaks everywhere at once and with one
        spirit.

Consider, Wager, that we (you and me and the WSN list) are
by-our-dialog acting as a volunteer 'strategy proposal
committee' for the movement at-large.  Suppose that we come
up with something that gets promulgated, acted on, and
refined by others.  Notice that organizations play no role
in this process, apart from the fact that
organizations-as-actors might be among our eventual
'audience' (or a new organization, or organizations, might be
part of our recommendations.)  We don't need to join
anything, pay dues, compete for office, or attend meetings.

---

The holographic approach, if it makes sense at all, hangs on
a particular critical hinge: the existence and promulgation
of processes which are effective in harmonizing face-to-face
gatherings which include diverse constituencies.  If such
processes can be identified, and if strategic application of
them is pursued, my current thinking leads me to believe that
much would follow of its own accord, driven by the liberated
energy of latent synergy which has thus far been mostly
stifled by regime-encouraged divisiveness and a culture
which emphasizes in-clique communication.

I'm copying Tom Atlee (http://www.co-intelligence.org) on
this message in the hope of getting him to tell us about
Dynamic Facilitation and the rest of his bag of tricks, and
how the process has been performing in practice.

yours,
rkm
http://cyberjournal.org/cj/guide/