< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: re-2: W Wager - Centripetal & Holograhpic models

by wwagar

16 December 2000 21:02 UTC

Richard,

        The advantage of being a historian, when you're studying the
future, is that you have a fairly rich array of data at your disposal to
inform you of how human beings have behaved and interacted in many
cultures and eras.  The disadvantage of being a historian, when you're
studying the future, is that you're less likely to be able to anticipate
real breakthrough moments, times when the rules change fundamentally.  I
would like to believe that we're approaching such a time, thanks to the
advances in education and literacy recorded during the 20th Century, and
thanks to the cyber-revolution that began only in the 1980s.  Many people
in Latin America, Africa, and Asia have been left out of all this, but not
all.  The opportunities for laterally rather than hierarchically
orchestrated change are immense.  Maybe we are on the brink.

        But as a historian, I still cannot bring myself to imagine a
coherent movement to build a post-capitalist, earth-conserving,
justice-dealing world civilization without the help of some of the
traditional mechanisms for effecting change--parties, leaders, texts,
ideologies, working across national frontiers, and coordinating efforts.
Perhaps I am too mired in the past.  But why does it have to be all or
nothing?  Can't lateral energies and hierarchical forces work in tandem,
complementing one another?  I would like to believe that we are entering a
New Age when everybody singing their own song will somehow produce a
symphony, but my faith in this happening any time soon is very weak.

        Cheers,

        Warren