< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The Köhler/Chaves volumes

by Louis Proyect

12 December 2000 14:04 UTC

>With all respect, are these _ad hominem_ cracks, of which I believe there
>have been two in recent days, necessary on this list?
>--
>Jeffrey L. Beatty
>Doctoral Student
>Department of Political Science
>The Ohio State University
>2140 Derby Hall
>154 North Oval Mall
>Columbus, Ohio 43210

All kidding aside, I find it utterly pretentious for some academic to
invoke "amazonic/andean/caribean popular wisdom". Many years ago, there was
a character named Carlos Castenada who launched a lucrative career as a New
Age guru by claiming expertise in Yaqui wisdom. It turned out that he was a
fraud. I am speaking as a possible consumer of the book that was
advertised. Frankly speaking, I doubt if I would spend a dime on it after
reading such embarrassing self-regarding nonsense. The emperor has no clothes.

Louis Proyect