< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: theory and praxis, academia and activism

by Petros Haritatos

08 December 2000 14:04 UTC

Paul,

In answer to your question,

>You say that millions are not aware that they are resisting -
>could you expand on that for us please?

here is something from paragraph I.B.2.2 on how manipulation is
deflected:

<<These ... examples ...show that a society may possess strengths which
are invisible. This happens not because of a plan to dissimulate them,
but because ordinary people are neither aware of the manipulation nor of
their responses, while those who seek to manipulate society are blinded
by their own mindsets. ( ... ) The practices of societies cannot be
anything but pragmatic - but this does not apply to their prevailing
self-image, which can be seriously distorted and yet pass for objective.
The four individual behaviors described above - tolerance, alertness,
ambiguity and jurisgenesis - show that Greek society, for example,
possesses functionalities which thwart the Empire's bid to control
consciousness, and can therefore be considered valuable. One can sum up
these functionalities in an archetype which we can name the "human
balance" model. It can be viewed in opposition to the "economic
efficiency" model, which serves as an archetype for the aspiring
reformers of Greek society. What confuses both sides is the existence of
areas where society embraces the Empire's values and practices (because
they are also its own) and others where it strongly rejects them. >>

To put this quote into context, check chapter "I.B-Organic Weaknesses"
on www.athenian.net/invisible-strengths.htm

Regards,
Petros Haritatos, Athens