< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fwd: theory and praxis, academia and activism

by Paul Broome

08 December 2000 10:32 UTC

Petros,

You make some good points. I think we can say, following yours and
others comments, that theory and praxis could be seen as a mutually
compatible process, although the latter will always have a more
visible outcome. Inputs to action or praxis by theory can be made at
many levels and where successful, can be seen as a 'richening' or
'deepening' process that adds, qualitatively, to the knowledge of
activists, and hence, the quality of the outcome of their actions.

Whilst we can see how theory might benefit praxis, it seems that the
inverse connection is more elusive and difficult to quantify. I don't
know about the states, but in western Europe, I often wonder how much
class has to play in a part of this.

You say that millions are not aware that they are resisting - could
you expand on that for us please?  I think it is easy to argue that
millions contribute to the dominant order without releasing what they
are doing - is that not the goal of capitalism? - to create hidden
dependencies between the public and the multinationals and their
political apologetics, thus ensuring power and legitimacy that is
unquestioned and unchallenged by the majority of society. As you say
- how to encourage people from apathy to activism and thus drive
change for a better world?

So how do we engage 'doers' with 'thinkers', and more importantly -
following your comments below - achieve the inverse, especially given
George Pennefather's comments RE: radical academics?

BTW, a good read on the debate between theory and practice, and
practical outcomes, can be found in Simon, D & Naaman, A, Eds. (2000)
"Development as Theory and Practice". Harlow: Addison Wesley Longman
& DARG, RGS-IBG.

Cheers, Paul.

>These are both significant threads. Here are some inputs on where they
>intersect.
>
>1. Of what use is theory to praxis?
>
>(a) Many people have an itch to do something. For them --people who
>"think by doing"-- theory is useful as ideology, providing mental
justification for an emotional urge. They cover a broad continuum,
from the missionary nurse to the intifada youth.

--

"The Macintosh isn't a computer...

Tel (Work):+44 (0)178 444 3574
Fax:      :+44 (0)178 447 2386