< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: activism and academia

by Paul Broome

08 December 2000 10:31 UTC

Odd. I would have thought (as CJD pointed out) that world systems
analysis has a rather important role to play, certainly in strategy.
Any strategy for the future has to be based on an understanding of
the past and resolution of the latters outcomes as manifested at
present. After all, surely to claim otherwise would be to claim that
dependency theory is removed from history.

As for Eurocentrism, and from a development geographer's viewpoint, I
think we might firmly consider that we are 'post-eurocentrism' - I
think of it as occidentalism. Walden Bello's "Dark Victory" or
Richard Norgaard's "Development Betrayed" would thus also be required
on the undergraduates burgeoning book list  :o)

Paul.