< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: philosophical/theoretic explanation

by Richard K. Moore

07 December 2000 02:27 UTC

Bcc: a few colleagues

12/6/2000, Paul Broome wrote:
  >By the way, you are correct - communication is the key.

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your note.  We seem to have found a point of agreement.

    > So what is one to do? Is there 'good practice' that  gets
    like-minded folk together? I'd be interested to hear from
    anyone who has a foot in both camps or has tried to make a
    bridge between the two communities.

I set up two seminars on the West Coast last September in an
attempt to make contact with some activists.  Nothing worked
the way I had planned.  I'm still digesting the lessons.  I
guess the main thing I learned is that the group process
dominates theory, as Richard Huthinson suggested.  Nothing
can happen until a certain harmony and trust are achieved

Several days would be needed, it seemed, if one wanted to get down to
strategic issues.  The process the people were using was a sound one,
and I could see the power of it to bring people into harmony who
initially seemed hopelessly discordant.

I felt welcomed into the group, if more than a bit awkward, and there
was definitely a thirst for theoretical understanding - but not a taste
for lectures.  There seems to be an opportunity for folks of a theoretical
bent, who may not want to join the actions, to participte with activist
groups on an ongoing basis.  That might lead to cross-pollenization in
more than one dimension.

And then there's activism among theorticians, which we need more of.

I've forwarded your message to Laurence Cox, who is very much an
activist / academician, and if he reponds, I'll post it to the list.

rkm