< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Help on bibliography on war cycles

by Peter Knapp

17 November 2000 08:30 UTC

    Within the next two weeks, I shall have to update my syllabus for a
seminar on war cycles, which I have not been able to give for more than
five years.  I am asking for help because the literature, especially the
periodical literature, has gotten way from me, somewhat.   Please reply
to me personally, and I will collate the results and post them on WSN
for anyone interested.

    Last time, what I did was to have the whole seminar read the whole
of Wagar's Short History of the Future and J. Goldstein's Long Cycles,
during the first month.  The Syllabus included an annotated bibliograhy
of a dozen works, concntrating on Wllerstein, Chase-Dunn and Tilly (but
also including section on catastrophe models, chaotic dynamics, the
Correlates of War project and IR "realism").  During the first month the
students also picked one of the works/topics to pursue for a report and
a term paper during the remainder of the term.

    I think that I need to replace both the Wagar and the Goldstein as
introductory works.  For all its virtues, I think the students were
correct that the Wagar is more about consequences than causes, and I
think the Goldstein can be better covered by some of his subsequent
articles.   Thus I need alternate works to give a general orientation
and make plausible the idea of long wave / large structgure dynamics.
And besides the many works in JWSR, I need suggestions for the couple of
dozen works that ought to be in an annotated bibliography as works that
need to be pursued.

    Thanks.