< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Contradictions of an election in an imperialist country/contradictionsof reform and revolution

by Talmadge Wright

17 November 2000 08:30 UTC

Let me clarify Alan's excellent response to my point. My point about
saying that others do draw distinctions between Gore and Bush is a simple
one. Outside the Left and the fringe right, most people do draw
distinctions between the two candidates. If we do not respect the people's
perceptions of these distinctions then we will be de-legitimated, not Gore
or Bush. Like I said, this does not mean we have to accept that
perception, but we better act as if we do if we want to convince
others. In other words, like any good sociologist we must be prepared to
climb inside the point of view of those we are organizing, for better or
for worse. For those who feel afraid of the Republicans and feel like they
have a place to go in the Democratic party (a shrinking group) we must
respect that perception and work with it (it doesn't mean we have to
accept it). Such is the contradictary nature of organzing. The last parts
of Alan's post are excellent and deserve much contemplation by all of
us. Talmadge

* Talmadge Wright                               (773) 508-3451 *
* Dept. of Sociology/Anthropology           FAX:(773) 508-7099 *
* Loyola University Chicago                                    *
* 6525 N. Sheridan Rd.                                         *
* Chicago, Illinois 60626                                      *