< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Possible virus--beware of "Navidad" as an attachment

by Paul Broome

13 November 2000 18:43 UTC

Title: Re: Possible virus--beware of "Navidad" as an attachme
I could be wrong about this, but I got an email from WSN with "Navidad.exe" as an attachment. I would not download an exe file from an internet email list. In general, I wouldn't download one from anywhere unless I was sure. The "Navidad.exe" might be a virus; I read something about that over the past two days. If it is something from the Economist, then just go to the Economist Web page if you want to read it........but BEWARE of downloading an exe virus

No, you are  correct Alan. navidad.exe is an Outlook worm that was discovered on November 3. After executing that attachment, there is a HIGH possibility your system will become unstable. The Symantec Antivirus Research Centre classifies the threat from this worm as HIGH.

See http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.navidad.html for more info.

Perhaps it is time for the list moderator to disable attachments as there are many doing the rounds at the moment and it is only a matter of time before history repeats itself (funny how the cyber world so often mimics the real world).

One wonders why this e-mail was posted to the list with only an attachment and no body text other than that a short message enticing users to open said attachment...

Paul.

--

"The Macintosh isn't a computer...

Tel (Home):+44 (0)178 447 7492