< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Edward Said - American Zionism (3)

by wwagar

11 November 2000 17:09 UTC

Dear Khaldoun,

        You and Shoshana are on to something of enormous interest to
cultural and intellectual historians, of whom I am one, and I entirely
agree with you that Zionism has deep ideational roots in Christian Europe.
What else was the First Crusade but Zionism?  Christian sympathy for
Zionism is certainly a factor in U.S. support of Israel as well.  Still,
the implementation of Zionism after 1945 remains primarily the work of
displaced Jews and their supporters, Jewish and non-Jewish, in the U.S.
and elsewhere.  Its partly Gentile pedigree does not change the "facts
on the ground" with which Palestinians must daily contend.

        Warren