< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fw: Open Letter From Indonesian Churches to Khofi Annan

by Trisno S. Sutanto

27 June 2000 18:05 UTC

"Unless we learn to live together as brothers and sisters, we shall die
together as fools"

-- Martin Luther King, Jr--

Please distribute it
-----Original Message-----
From: tali_hulaleng@joymail.com <tali_hulaleng@joymail.com>
To: ambon@egroups.com <ambon@egroups.com>
Cc: maluku-net@cenderawasih.net <maluku-net@cenderawasih.net>
Date: 27 Juni 2000 7:25
Subject:  Open Letter from Moluccan churches Leaders To UNs

Letter from the Leaders of The Protestant Church in the Moluccas and
The Catholic Church of Amboina

To Dr. Khofi Annan, the General Secretary of United Nations

The current situation in Indonesia especially in Ambon, Halmahera, and
Poso, shows that the unwillingness and inability of security forces to
maintain peace and order in society was proved to be true.

The facts now are :

1.The Indonesian Christians University in Maluku (UKIM) campus in Ambon,
Catholic Hospital and Police Hospital in Tantui Ambon have been destroyed
and burned down yesterday (June 23th, 2000)caused of heavy attacks by the
"Jihad" forces backed-up by the military troops. The day before two church
buildings and houses of police in Tantui were also burnt down.

2.This morning about 4000 Jihad forces has landed (by "Bukit Siguntang"
Pelni's ship) and containers of weapons were also landed at the same port
(by "Tanto" cargoship) at Ambon port without any preventive action by the
security forces.

3.Right now, the battle still continues at Galala, a village in Ambon and
several places in Ambon city (Perigilima, Batugantung, Tanahlapang Kecil,
Anthony Rhebok, Ahuru-Karang Panjang). Eyewitnesses said there are two
military armored vehicles involve in this aftermath open fire against the
christians everywhere.

4.Civilians, especially Christians, are crying now that their livese are
really in danger now. They lack everything to defense themselves (even the
police forces had been paralyzed by the KOSTRAD military unit yesterday)
and only hope for an intervention from the international communities.

5.Yesterday we have warned the Indonesian President to take needed actions
to stop the killing within 48 hours, otherwise, we will seek the
international intervention.

6.Because our lives and rights or possessions cannot be protected by the
Indonesian Government and Military, therefore we ask help to evacuate those
who are in danger.

Consider the facts above and the killings since January 1999 until now,
TODAY we are calling for your attention and intervention TO SAVE
HUMAN'SLIFE in Ambon, Halmahera, and Poso.

Ambon, June 24,2000