< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

refocusing

by Richard N Hutchinson

03 June 2000 22:54 UTC

I suggested that Warren be more specific/concrete, but since he hasn't
responded yet, here is my own personal testimony, since I think he's
right.

Praise the Global Green Anti-Systemic Forces!  Hallelujah!

Since I don't think I can start the global revolution all by myself,
(especially not from Ogden, Utah), here's what seems doable in the near
future:

1)
I'll be teaching my course on Social Movements this fall.  My plan is to
make the movement against "globalization" the central empirical focus of
the course (which will cover various theoretical approaches, of course,
but the empirical examples could be any number of movements).  I'll be
using, among other things, a new book from Worldwatch called "Vanishing
Borders" on the environmental consequences of globlalization.

One goal of the course, then, will be to impart some global vision to the
students -- some understanding of the Big Picture and what needs to be
done.  (Hmmm... who does that sound like?)

2)
I'm less sure about this one, but it recently occurred to me that I might
initiate some sort of red/green political organization/tendency in this
bioregional vicinity.

Any of you who are familiar with Warren Wagar's world-system prophetic
novel (A Short History of the Future, is it?) may know what I mean when I
say my goal with such a group would be to combine the best elements of the
World Party and the Small Party, and not postpone the green reckoning so
far down the road.

Well, sisters and brothers, that's my testimony.

I would be more than happy to drop these plans if it turns out one of
you will be announcing the general uprising soon, or some other form of
praxis becomes available on a higher plane of effectiveness.

Let's hear from others in the Church of the Egalitarian World!

Testify!  Strategize!

RH