< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Troubles of the World (fwd)

by md7148

03 June 2000 17:11 UTC

Dear Warren,

There may be some misunderstanding, but I personally did not make sense of
your reminding us "we need to refocus". I don't think that there is
anything left about the world system we did not focus, since we have been
discussing here world systemic issues pertaining to capitalism and US
hegemony.It seemed to me that you wanted to intervene in the subject
matter of the posts (ie.,"don't discuss women's issues, Iraq, Kosova,
discuss this or that" kind of ad hominem) rather than reminding us what we
"really" need to refocus. I don't know but this is how I read your first
paragraph. World systemic transformation is all we want. What we need to
discuss is the KIND of world system we want, not just a world system!

thanks,

Mine

> Sorry, but we need to re-focus.  We all know that the great issue
>facing humankind in the 21st Century is not the rights of frozen embryos
>or the genocide in Iraq or the crap dispensed by Madeline Albright or
>NATO >bullshit about Kosovo or whatever.  The problem is that most of the
>wealth >and power in the modern world-system is wielded by the 20% of the
world's >people who live in the "advanced" countries, and that most of
their >wealth >and power is in turn concentrated in the top 5% of the
people in the top >20%.