< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Black School shut down: Is this accidental? (fwd)

by md7148

03 June 2000 18:23 UTC

Micheal, this is another ad hominem which does not even address the issue
at stake here! Closing down of the school is partly related to racism,
if not directly, because the school where the African American population
largely attend can not find enough financial resources to manage the
budget. Poor folks ended up closing the school not simply because of
economies of scale, but because they had no other alternative to improve
their conditions. I am sure the schools in the white population district
do not have the same problems. White schools receive hell amount of money
and donations, as well as community support, since students attending
those schools are predominantly white. Don't you think this has something
to do with the structural marginalization of the black population, and the
racialization of poverty that isolate black people from running their own
communities? How can you seperate race from economies of scale? Don't
african american people know how to manage their financial affairs?

ops, sorry, this topic is not interest to wsn mebers! We need to talk
about world systemic transformations! Who cares about black schools in the
South? or anywhere?.. we need to refocus!

Mine

> Don't you find it ironic someone going to a large, publicly funded
>state >university system would be nostalgic for a one-room schoolhouse?
Instead >of >seeing racism at work, automatically, how about considering
economies of >scale?