< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population vs. technology/consumption (fwd)

by Judi Kessler

31 May 2000 21:28 UTC

Whoops. Apologies for the "sir"
I concur with you on the reductionist portrayals of Third World women. I
am a strong advocate of choice. However, a friend of mine who practices
law in Los Angeles tells me tragic stories of clients (again, of all
colors) who are bullied or guilt-tripped into not accessing birth control,
are repeatedly raped by their "significant others", and are left with the
burden of being sole providers.
I spent several years in Mexico conducting pol econ research. Met a number
of women who were coerced or threatened into not accessing birth control
and, as a result, have severely limited life chances. I suspect we agree
more than we disagree.
To be frank, Andrew Austin jerks my chain. He seems to see himself as the
vanguard for just about everything, including the mind of women.
Best,
Judi