< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population vs. technology/consumption (fwd)

by md7148

31 May 2000 17:35 UTC

Judi,

There might have been some misunderstanding, but my post was about a
common sense knowledge of third world women, which I find quite
disempowering and racist, and was essentially in agreement with Andy's
post (although Andy put in different words)...

From a "sister" not a "sir"...

Mine

> On Wed, 31 May 2000 md7148@cnsvax.albany.edu wrote:

> first off, let me say that I am terribly unhappy with the white/western/
> middle class discourses that depict third world world women as lactating
> and over-reproducing. Evidently, third world women, just as western women

Sir,
This is my last post on the topic. Please read Austin's initial post
and my reponse (below). I never once mentioned third world women (nor did
Austin).
Until you sport a womb and are made to carry and assume financial
responsibility for children that may be unintentionlly mistreated because
they were unwelcome or not planned for because financial resources are
limited, put a lid on it.

For example, African American women living in
> the southern United States should be concerned that their rate of
surgical
> sterilization is 3-4 times higher than it is for whites. We ought to all
> be concerned about that. There is huge difference between population
> control and birth control.
>
> Andrew Austin
> Knoxville, TN

Mr Austin,
        You might have a slightly different perspective if you were an
African American woman in the south (or a woman of any color, anywhere)
who was either pregnant or lactating for most of her life.
        Judi Kessler
        UC San Diego