< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population vs. technology/consumption (fwd)

by Andrew Wayne Austin

31 May 2000 21:45 UTC

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Judi Kessler wrote:

>To be frank, Andrew Austin jerks my chain.

This is, of course, what it is all about. Judi doesn't like me for some
reason (you ought to see the private posts she sends me!) and so she looks
for whatever thing I say that she might be able to attack me over. I am
not going to speculate over the reasons for her animus.

I don't believe she really disagrees with my position on birth control.
What's to disagree with? I believe women and girls should have free access
to contraception, sterilization, and abortion. I oppose the imposition of
birth control measures on women. I hold the rather desirable position of
maximizing reproductive freedom.

I do not regard myself the "vanguard of just about everything." It ought
to be perfectly clear that I am not the vanguard of sociobiology/social
Darwinism. However, I am ethically obligated to take issue with people
when they advocate a reduction in the number of people. I am also
ethically obligated to take issue with characterizations of poor women as
pregnant and lactating. That sort of remarks tends to knock me out of my
chair. I suppose I would not be regarded as the "vanguard" if more people
condemned such bigoted language.

Andrew Austin
Knoxville, TN