< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

democrats and war

by Richard N Hutchinson

28 May 2000 23:57 UTC

Very interesting story on U.S. plans to attack N. Korea.

I remember at the time it was the cover story of Time and/or Newsweek, and
I was thinking "they're not that crazy are they"?  I tended to dismiss it
as a calculated threat (and of course that's what it might have been).

But I don't remember anyone saying "Dole will be more likely to get us
into a war."  In fact a striking feature of the post-Soviet 90s has been
the revival of conservative/Republican isolationism (which of course is
really unilateralism) and the rise of liberal/Democratic
pro-"humanitarian" intervention.  (It is interesting how the narrow
partisans on both sides seem to find reasons to oppose military
intervention directed by the opposite party, even when it looks identical
to actions they support when led by their own party.)

After Iraq, Kosovo, Bosnia, Haiti, Somalia, and Sudan/Afghanistan (what am
I forgetting?) who could accuse the Democrats of being for peace?

RH