< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

U.S. versus China

by Richard N Hutchinson

29 May 2000 00:13 UTC

The two recents posts on China and PNTR/WTO membership were both basically
on target.  (I wouldn't encourage people to adopt Eric Mann's '70s Maoist
rhetorical style, but I agree with his argument overall.)

The piece by Bello & Mittal was very good.  Even though the House has
already passed PNTR by a big margin, and it's sure to pass the Senate
(which means WTO membership will probably go through as well), the issues
remain.

We must be active in opposing the rise of anti-China sentiments!
I see them already among my students.

One particular point I think Bello/Mittal make light of, though, is
the environmental issue.  They shouldn't be so quick to attack Lester
Brown and the Worldwatch Institute.  If countries like China justify
environmental devastation on the grounds of national sovereignty and
fairness -- the U.S. and Europe did it, so will we -- they should be
challenged.  We can't change the past, but we can affect the future.
Core environmentalists engaging this issue should not be denounced in
toto as imperialists.

RH