< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Hegemony and Control, was "question folks" (fwd)

by md7148

09 May 2000 01:57 UTC

This is a very right point Andy! I generally disagree with the
arguments that we have more than one hegemony in the late 20th century
(EU, South East Asian tigers, etc..). This thesis is put forward by
those who tend to emphasize the mobility of capital and competing national
interests. It is said that power is so decentralized that nobody fully
takes control of the economic process. While this is factually true to a
certain extend, this diversity is fostered to globalize and reinforce
American hegemony, so the hegemony is not the nation-state, but the global
power as the US, "Americanization" of the world, so to say..Globalization
is a new cover to ensure this hegemony..

Mine Doyran
SUNY/Albany