< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: JVDHOEK & LAGARDIEN on death tolls

by Gunder Frank

03 May 2000 17:21 UTC

        The murky social results of this neoliberal race to catastrophe
are  in sight. In over one hundred countries the per capita income is
lower than fifteen years ago. At the moment, 1.6 billion people are
faring worse than at the beginning of the 1980s.
        Over 820 million people are undernourished and 790 of them live in
the Third World. It is estimated that 507 million people living in  the
South today will not live to see their 40th birthday.
        In the Third World countries represented here, two out of every
five children suffer from growth retardation and one out of every three is
underweight; 30,000 who could be saved are dying every day; 2 million
girls are forced into prostitution; 130 million children do not have
access to elementary education and 250 million minors under 15 are  bound
to work for a living.

        The world economic order works for 20% of the population but it
leaves out, demeans and degrades the remaining 80%.

        Another Nuremberg is required to put to trial the economic order
imposed on us, the same that is killing of hunger and preventable or
curable diseases more men, women and children every three years than
all those killed by World War II in six years.
        We should discuss here what is to be done about that.

        Another Nuremberg is required to put to trial the economic order
imposed on us, the same that is killing of hunger and preventable or
curable diseases more men, women and children every three years than
all those killed by World War II in six years.
        We should discuss here what is to be done about that.

-- Fidel Castro to the Plenary of the Summit Meeting of the Group of 77
[actually now 135] Nonaligned Countries in Havana, April 2000

On Wed, 3 May 2000 ilagardien@worldbank.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 12:14:01 -0400
> From: ilagardien@worldbank.org
> To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
> Cc: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
> Subject: Re: Stalinist death toll [Virus checked]
>

> JVDHOEK wrote:
> I take issue with one of your comments though, about people committing
> artrocities. By my view, all the horror stories of the 20th century are
>the
> fault of governments. Left to their own devices I just don't see the
> evidence for widespread ordinary human brutality - brutalisation and
> participation yes, but the organising and initiating has always come about
> as a function of government policy.
>

> Hi.
> You make a good point about "governments left to their own devices" but
>not all
> of the slaughter and mayhem in the 20th Century (at whatever scale) has
>been by
> governments "left to their own devices" in the 19th Century there was
>warlordism
> and economic predation in China (ditto: Liberia & Sierra Leone after state
> failure in the 1990s).
>
> Similar patterns can be detected in Latin America (1980s) where the United
> States essentially backed Right Wing death squads (ditto Angola: Savimbi)
>

> Ismail Lagardien
> Office of the Chief Economist and
> Senior Vice President of
> Development Economics
> The World Bank
> Washington DC
> USA
>
> 202 473 9603
>
> Visit the World Bank Chief Economist page at:
> http://www.worldbank.org/knowledge/chiefecon/index.htm

                     ANDRE GUNDER FRANK
          Visiting Professor  of  International Relations
University of Miami           &         Florida International University

380 Giralda Ave. Apt 704                Tel: 1-305-648 1906
Miami - Coral Gables FL                 Fax: 1-305-648 0149
USA  33134                              e-mail:agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca

Personal/Professional Home Page> http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/agfrank/

My NATO/Kosovo Page> http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/agfrank/nato_kosovo/

My professional/personal conclusion is the same as Pogo's -
            We have met the enemy, and it is US