< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RV: Help needed

by Juan M Ghersinich

12 April 2000 22:47 UTC

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 5:32 PM
Subject: Help needed

Hello folks:

Mr Jason Moore, i've just finished reading your article. It's very intersting, it will help.
Thank you very much indeed.

Mr Peter Grimes, You've been studying the relationship between the global environment and human history since 1973, with that much experience you could give me enough advice, i'm just a 22 years old student.
What i need is historical, philosophical and theoretical information and advice.
As i wrote i focus on ideology, the main cause of the actual biospherical crisis.
I believe that we are living (or will live ) a transition from the present world order. Our challenge is to create a counterhegemonic order (as Robert Cox or Gramsci would define it). For that purpose, i deeply believe that ecocentrism (green political thought or green radical thought as defined by A. Dobson) could be a real alternative. As i see it, ecocentrism stands as a new vision of reality, as a new paradigm.
Ecocentrism believes that all natural things have intrinsic value, inherent worths. They exist for their own sake, without consideration for any value to human civilization. The GAIAN perspective is very important, because it stands outside the anthropocentric and subjetivist tradition. This new cosmovision establishes an alternative to humanist thinking in late modern cultures.
Despite the fact of being very old (in western traditions anthropocentrism has a point of origin in greek logocentrism. A prime exemplar of modern anthropocentric thought is Hobbes, for whom value is only human desiring) i want to centre my study in the enlightment.
It is important to understand that ecocentrism is different from environmentalism, wich has no difference with the humanist conceptions of the relations of human kind with the earth, in wich humans are privileged over the rest living organisms. The enlightmnet (marxism, liberalism, etc), islamism, christianity and the positivist faith of science, all see the earth as a resource.
 Thus, the cause of the contradictions among the global economy, the inter-state system (and the rest of the human historical "forms") with the biosphere is ideological.

Juan Manuel Ghersinich
Buenos Aires, Argentina
student of International Relations at Universidad del Salvador
jmgrzinic@hotmail.com