< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

The "Reaganization" of Global Governance?

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

12 April 2000 21:43 UTC

(Apologies for multiple postings).

I don't normally draw my IPE commentary from the pages of _USA Today_; normally, I prefer that my journalism be informative rather than pretty. Nevertheless, I want to draw the list's attention to the attached article by Lester C. Thurow. It ran in _USA Today's_ online edition of this morning.

While I hardly wish to embrace all of Thurow's arguments, e.g., his embrace of the "race to the bottom" thesis, this piece is one of the few commentaries I have seen that recognizes the need for forms of global governance that link a number of issue areas. I appreciate his acknowledgement that "[i]t is not possible to say that WTO should handle global trade while some other agency (usually left unspecified) handles these other legitimate concerns" like environmental issues, labor standards, and human rights." From my point of view, management of these issues requires institutional responsibility for them to be centralized in such a way as to force necessary trade-offs among competing goals--gains from trade versus damage to the environment, the needs of the international economy versus individual rights, etc. Without such centralization, either one set of goals must dominate the others, or the various international organizations must work at cross-purposes with one another.

The kind of global governance I am talking about need not take the form of a "global democratic government" of the kind that Thurow is talking about. It might take the form of the strengthening of existing international regimes, like WTO. The important thing is that the institutional capacity for governing the collective affairs of global society must exist.

What is occurring now, I fear, is not the development of additional institutional capacity, but the destruction of what capacity exists. Consider the recently published report of the Meltzer Commission on reform of the international financial institutions, prepared at the request of the U.S. Congress. There are aspects of the report that should certainly give heart to those concerned about heavily indebted developing countries. The commission recommends that "the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and the regional development banks should write-off in their entirety all claims against heavily indebted poor countries (HIPCS) that implement an effective economic and social development strategy in conjunction with the World Bank and the regional development institutions." Furthermore, it argues that "the United States should be prepared to increase significantly its budgetary support for the poorest countries if they pursue effective programs of economic development."

Nevertheless, some of the commission's other recommendations concern me. Under the report's proposals, the IMF's lending operations would be limited to the provision of short-term funds to solvent member governments that had exhausted the possibilities of borrowing through capital markets. It would cease lending to countries for long-term development assistance (as in the case of Sub-Saharan Africa) and for long-term structural transformation (as in the case of
post-Communist transition economies). The Enhanced Structural Adjustment Facility and its successor, the Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility, would be eliminated.

The World Bank would become a "World Development Agency" with a reduced role as a lender. Along with new regional development agencies that would replace the regional development banks, this World Development Agency would be precluded from financial crisis lending. The agencies would concentrate on providing global public goods including "treatment of tropical diseases and AIDS, rational protection of environmental resources, tropical climate agricultural programs, development of management and regulatory practices, and inter-country infrastructure." The World Development Agency would provide technical assistance to the regional development agencies.

The Commission recommends that the World Trade Organization's quasi-judicial rulings be prevented from overriding national legislation on health, safety, environment, and other regulatory policies. "Rulings or decisions by the WTO, or any other multilateral entity, that extend the scope of explicit commitments under treaties or international agreements must remain subject to explicit legislative enactment by the U.S. Congress and, elsewhere, by the national legislative authority."

While many might take comfort from some of these recommendations, I find myself uncomfortable with its emphasis on privatization and decentralization of the international financial system. It has sometimes been suggested (e.g., in Rosecrance 1986) that the debt management regime serves a purpose analogous to that of a "social welfare program" for developing countries. If there is any merit to this argument, I am concerned that in the Commission's work smacks of a "backlash", analogous to Reaganomics in the United States, aimed at "getting the global public sector off the backs" of U.S. banks and taxpayers.