< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Gender and World History: WHA discussion

by Dr. R.J. Barendse

20 March 2000 16:12 UTC

    This was first sent to the H-World-discussion list and it refers to a
World History Association discussion, but I guess it might be relevant given
the parallel discussion on gender on this list too.

    I'm certainly not smart enough to grasp the obscure `Pomo' jargon
presently in use on this list - I have to admit I find Latin texts from the
eighth century easier to understand than this nebulous terminology - but at
least I do try to move beyond what are I think mostly empty generalities
towards concrete historical and social circumstances.

    Generalities such as - no personal offense intended - `heterosexuality
is at the core of the gender system' (of course - the majority of people
have always been heterosexual), `gender is intrinsic to unequal orders' (of
course - but HOW is it intrinsic) `like capitalism' (I wouldn't hold a
candle for the `feudalism' this posting is about either). Or `non-western
women are subject to the white, capitalist, male, global order.' (Yes -
obviously - and so is everybody else: this is a world SYSTEM -  remember?).
Or this one:  `women are pushed beneath the level of significance since
gender is radically deconstructed and fragmented. Such a radical pluralist
deconstruction of identity valorizes women as a group and apoliticizes
emancipatory narratives such as feminism and marxism' (no idea what that's
supposed to mean.)

    `Pomo' incrowd of this list and readers of `H-World' may, of course, by
all means skip this and go on with their very sophisticated discussions.

> [...]
>medieval European `frontiers'. And - although demographic evidence is very
>scarse in pre-nineteenth century South Asia - I think this is an older
>structure in Indian history as well. As in the relationship between the
>coast of Tamilnadu, which is an `old agrarian core' (somewhat comparably
>heavily taxed) and the dry `frontier - regions' of Konkundad. Which because
>of their more rapid growth in the eleventh/thirteenth century than the
coast
>I think became the core-region of the Vijayanagar-Empire. Vijaynagar unlike
>the Pallavas and Cholas was centered on the vigorous `free' newly colonized
>regions in the hinterland rather than on the Coromandel Coast.
>
>    It would be tempting to go into this for Chinese history or for the
>history of Java - where I think we have somewhat similar structures and,
>indeed, to try to read the Islamisation-process on Java in terms of
agrarian
>colonization and contrasts between the status of peasants (and particularly
>female peasants) between core and frontier but others certainly know far
>more about that.
>

>    3.) Reproduction-rates of the nobility: as I stated five months ago
>there are disconcerting parallels between the cultures of the various
>`horse-nobility's throughout Eurasia in the tenth/twelfth century. These
not
>only relate to their way of fighting on horseback but - also I'm beginning
>to think - to their pattern of reproduction.
>
>    Basically, I think as agricultural surpluses were growing in the tenth
>century and as war became increasingly an affair for `specialized' noble
>`knights' on horseback (rather than for the royal retinues, the huskarls of
>western-Christianity and the Turko/Mongol noekar, or the farmer-warrior -
>stratiotes -  levies of the Byzantine Empire) there was a `demographic
>revolution' amongst the nobility. There was still an older `core' of the
>nobility (Carolingian in Europe, mixed Varangian and I suspect Khazar in
>Russia and Cok Turkic in the Altai) but the nobility was strengthened by
>absorbing large numbers of junior `cadets' of often serf-status, or in the
>Turkish case probably by absorbing cadets from acephalous hunter/gatherer
>tribes. I suspect the formation of Rajput (maybe Nayyar) lineages in India
>took place in a similar way and in the same period.
>
>    Both by drawing-in large numbers of junior cadets and by having very
>large numbers of children - we know that for European nobility's but one
>typical characteristic of Turkic/Mongol nobility's was as well that the
>Khans tended to have droves of children and concubines - nobilities thus
>tended to rapidly multiply, giving way to two tendencies.
>
>    One was a tendency for junior nobles to seek their own allod and thus
>establish their own lineages, be it in the Holy Land, be it in Ireland or
>Prussia - or (for the Turks) to seek allods in the service of the
Khalifate,