< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Shifting Composition of Core and Periphery

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

12 February 2000 21:59 UTC

At 11:39 AM 2/12/00 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm Randy McDonald, a new subscriber to this World Systems list. I'm from
>the eastern Canadian province of Prince Edward Island, where I'm in the
>middle of my English and Anthropology undergraduate degrees.
>
>I'm familiar with the broad details of the core-periphery world system
>pioneered by Wallerstein, and I have pored over the WSN archive so I could
>get a broad outline
>
>Looking back at the beginning of the 20th century, you could see a rather
>significant difference in the composition of the core states of the
>emerging
>world economy. In the broad world-perspective, Austria-Hungary (or most of
>it outside of the impoverished eastern provinces anyway) would seem to have
>acquired an enviable central position in European and world economic
>patterns. The Southern Cone states -- I mean, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay
>-- also had developed-country standards of living, and were major countries
>of immigration from Europe and from South American neighbours. Most of
>Austria-Hungary has dropped out of the core after the First World War, and
>the Southern Cone states have undergone a similar decline, if with a much
>smaller incidence of ethnocide. On the other hand, Japan was, at best, only
>a peripheral member of the core, while (South) Korea and Taiwan didn't even
>count.
>
>I was wondering if there was any theory (or better yet, theorists!)
>available that could explain these shifts in the composition of the core
>and/or semi-periphery, from the Southern Cone to East Asia, from Central
>Europe to Iberia.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Randy McDonald

Some starting points that might be useful to you:

Doran, Charles F., George Modelski, and Cal Clark.  North/south relations :
studies of dependency reversal.  New York, NY : Praeger, 1983.

Chirot, Daniel.  Social change in the modern era.  Under the general
editorship of Robert K. Merton. San Diego, [Calif.]: Harcourt Brace
Jovanovich, 1986.

Bergesen, Albert, ed.  Crises in the world-system.  Beverly Hills : Sage
Publications, 1983.

Modelski, George, and William R. Thompson.  Leading sectors and world
powers : the coevolution of global politics and economics.  Columbia, S.C.
: University of South Carolina Press, 1996.

Thompson, William R.  Great power rivalries.  Columbia, S.C. : University
of South Carolina Press, 1999.

Rasler, Karen A., and William R. Thompson.  War and statemaking : the
shaping of the global powers.  Boston : Unwin Hyman, 1989.

Rasler, Karen A., and William R. Thompson.  The Great powers and global
struggle 1490-1990.  Lexington, Ky. : University Press of Kentucky, 1994.

Modelski, George, ed.  Exploring long cycles.  Boulder, Colo.: Lynne
Rienner Publishers, 1987.

Modelski, George.  Long cycles in world politics.  Seattle: University of
Washington Press, 1987.

Chase-Dunn, Christopher.  "Interstate System and the Capitalist
World-Economy:  One Logic or Two?"  Chap. in
The Theoretical evolution of international political economy : a reader,
ed. George T. Crane and Abla Amawi.  2nd ed. New York : Oxford University
press, 1997.

Goldstein, Joshua S.  Long cycles : prosperity and war in the modern age.
New Haven: Yale University Press, 1988.

Pollins, Brian M. "Global Political Order, Economic Change, and Armed
Conflict: Coevolving
Systems and the Use of Force."  American Political Science Review 90, no. 1
(March 1996):  103.

--
Jeffrey L. Beatty
Doctoral Student

(o) 614/292-2880
(h) 614/688-0567

Email:  Beatty.4@osu.edu
___
This is my quest/to follow that star/no matter how hopeless /no matter how
far,
to fight for the right/without question or pause,/to be willing to
march into hell for a heavenly cause--"The Impossible Dream," Man of La
Mancha