< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: new materials on the Chase-Dunn/Barendse et al. and other debate s

by Mike Drake

07 February 2000 19:02 UTC

I think one could find the same kind of alarmism, and much
the same evocation of a 'yellow peril' threatening the
sanctity of middle-class security (with all its moralistic
connotations) in the mid-late-19c. Similar apocalyptic
scenarios of global culture/economic clash were all
the vogue amongst the military then, too. Given the
sources, I think there is little cause for concern -James
Goldsmith's political perspicacity is something of a joke,
and Luttwak simply rewrites whatever he has a grant to do to
fit his own (and his paymasters') ideological
preoccupations of the moment (see, eg his rather
creative work on the Roman Empire's defences at the time of
the dominance of 'domino theory' in Western strategic
thought).

Both seem concerned, like Sam Huntington, to construct a
unitary 'West' that is 'threatened'. Even allowing that
such concerns do impinge upon the world-consciousness of a
fictive Anglo-European middlebrow professional
as-historical-subject, people are capable of reasoning
things through for themselves more ably than Luttwak,
Goldsmith, or Huntington (or Haider) could possibly
foresee from the standpoint of their hack psychology and
reified (or fixated?) conceptualisations in which 'the
West' is analysed in terms of what, for them, it SHOULD be.
As an laternative see, for instance, the chapter on
'Failure' in Richard Sennett's 'The Corrosion of Character'.

Mike Drake