< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

[Fwd: (Fwd) Decade Forecast: United States]

by christopher chase-dunn

07 January 2000 13:59 UTC

On our continuing debate over where we are in the long K-wave,
Chris, Stratfor adds another ingredient: the coming asset correction
due to the babyboom fade:

Still up for a beer on the 20th of Jan?

Date sent:              Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:55:41 -0600 (EST)
From:                   "alert@stratfor.com" <alert@stratfor.com>
To:                     redalert@stratfor.com
Subject:                Decade Forecast: United States

STRATFOR.COM's Global Intelligence Update - December 21, 1999

By The Internet's Most Intelligent Source
of International News & Analysis
http://www.stratfor.com/

WHAT'S GOING ON IN YOUR WORLD?

Today, Stratfor.com unveils its global forecast for the United
States in the years 2000 to 2010. Throughout the week, be sure to
visit Stratfor.com for forecasts on the future of the world's
regions.

FIND OUT AT http://www.stratfor.com/

CHECK STRATFOR'S SITE TODAY FOR OUR SERIES ON THE FUTURE OF CHINA.

Part I: The Uneasy Crackdown
http://www.stratfor.com/asia/countries/china/chinapackage/uneasycrackdown1.htm

Part II: The Unstable Economy
http://www.stratfor.com/asia/countries/china/chinapackage/unstableeconomy1.htm

Part III: The Uncertain Future
http://www.stratfor.com/asia/countries/china/chinapackage/uncertainfuture1.htm

ALSO ON STRATFOR.COM

Malaysia's Aceh Dilemma
http://www.stratfor.com/asia/commentary/m9912210024.htm

Russian Troops Face New Risks in Chechnya
http://www.stratfor.com/CIS/commentary/c9912210055.htm

STRATFOR.COM Global Intelligence Update
December 21, 1999

Stratfor's Decade Forecast
2000-2010: Can America's New Golden Age Be Sustained?

Summary

The United States today occupies a unique position in the world. It
is the preeminent military and economic power. It has sustained
economic expansion since 1982 and intensified the expansion since
1995. Militarily, the United States controls the world's oceans as
well as space. It commands a coalition of nations that it can
induce to join it in military adventures around the world.
Politically, its influence over global institutions is
unparalleled. In domestic politics, a broad consensus makes it
difficult to distinguish among the major candidates during the
current presidential campaign. Undoubtedly, the United States is in
a golden age. The critical question is this: Can the new golden age
be sustained?

Analysis

Over the course of the next century, the United States will enjoy
extraordinary advantages over other nations. It is the only great
power that dominates an entire continent and remains politically
united. The European Union occupies a good portion of a continent,
but it is hardly united. Japan is united, but it does not control a
continent. The landmass that the United States controls provides
extraordinary advantages.

First, it is relatively underpopulated. The population density of
the United States, in comparison to that of Europe or Asia, is
extraordinarily low. The U.S. population has room for dramatic
growth if economic conditions deem it necessary. The continent has
enormous natural resources. Location and military force make the
United States impervious to invasion. Finally, as the only great
power bordering both the Atlantic and Pacific, the United States
is, by the nature of its placement, the only logical global power.
In our mind, the 21st century will undoubtedly be the American
century.

Perhaps most important, America dominates world culture. We do not
mean Coca-Cola or CNN. Rather, we are referring to the most
quintessential innovation of the United States: the computer. Other
countries will adopt the computer, but none as easily as the United
States. In the United States, the computer has come to dominate
business, leisure and commerce, penetrating every aspect of life
with an ease that will not be emulated in other countries as
readily. The rise of the computer is not only a matter of America's
technological lead. More important is the fact that the computer
arises from American culture and fits perfectly with American
sensibilities.

Indeed, the computer clearly has become the foundation of American
economic and military power. The expansion in the late 1990s,
violating the historical rules of economic growth, depended heavily
on the computer. Whether we date this expansion from 1982 or only
from 1992, the fact is that long after one might have expected a
recession, worker productivity is actually growing. That simple,
astonishing fact results largely from the computer's revolutionary
effect on production. Thus, where normally we would be expecting a
decline in productivity, as industrial capacity is being over-
utilized in the face of overheated demand, we are experiencing
rises in productivity.

Economics: 2000 to 2005

In economic terms, the United States has experienced a massive
surge in capital formation since the 1980s. Most important, the
qualitative nature of this capital is dramatically different than
before. Capital increases worker productivity. But not all capital
increases worker productivity at the same rate. It is more and more
obvious that we have not only seen a quantitative increase in
capital formation, but a qualitative shift in capital's
productivity. This is why the expansion, almost a generation old
when viewed in terms of productivity figures, interest rates,
inflation or other traditional measures, continues to appear to be
relatively young and vigorous.

Stratfor has been extremely bullish on the American economy since
1995. To our amazement, we continue to be bullish. This is
particularly troubling since, as our readers know, we tend to be
extremely traditional in our view. We believe in cycles, not
extrapolation. Nevertheless, we see little reason to expect the
expansion to end over the next five years, although a downturn on
the order of 1987 or 1991 certainly cannot be ruled out as a
possibility. But the main trend remains extremely positive for at
least the first half of the decade.

Consider the apparently irrational boom in Internet stocks, in
which equity values are completely unrelated to revenues. On the
surface, this would appear to be a bubble akin to the Tokyo real
estate price surge in the1980s. But look at the Internet this way:
in less than a decade, an entirely new communication medium has
emerged, with implications for every dimension of economic life. It
is certainly going to have a social impact equal to that of the
automobile or telephone. It is such a dramatically new part of the
social and economic infrastructure, that its technology model has
outstripped its business model.

Investors, acting on the expectation that revenue will in due
course catch up, are quite rational in establishing equity values
independent of revenue. Certainly there will be massive shakeouts
and consolidations, which will be painful, as was the case earlier
in the century in the auto or airline industries. But betting on
the Internet is about as irrational as some of the valuations given
to railroads in the 19th century, where revenue lagged far behind
valuation. The people who bet on the railroads were far more
rational than the "conservative" investors waiting for revenue to
catch up. Therefore, we do not see either the market as a whole or
the technology sector as representing an irrational bubble in the
American economy.

Our expectation is that the massive growth spurt will continue for
the first half of the decade. Though it would not surprise to see a
sudden, very frightening downturn in the markets or a short, sharp
recession, not dissimilar to 1987, the basic upturn will continue
until at least 2005 and probably for several years thereafter.

Economics: 2005 to 2010

We do, however, see serious problems developing after 2005 and
intensifying toward the end of the decade. The key problem is
demographic. As we argued in our last decade forecast, one of the
engines driving the American economy during the last 20 years has
been the maturation of the baby boomers. A huge age cohort entered
its most productive years during the 1980s. This cohort entered a
period of intense capital formation during the 1990s, when boomers
in their 40s and 50s shifted from net debtors to net creditors.

One of the great engines driving the stock markets is the 401(k)
plan. People in their 40s and 50s are pouring huge amounts of money
into their retirement plans. Most important, consumers cannot
easily withdraw this money, because to do so results in severe tax
penalties. Therefore, the growth in the stock market has created a
vast pool of stable money that supports the markets, helps provide
capital for investment, places a ceiling on interest rates and
creates major growths in net worth independent of savings rates.
This, coupled with either stable or rising home prices, has
generated substantial private wealth for a large social stratum. It
certainly does not encompass all Americans, but it does encompass a
great many, creating the expectation -- among large segments of the
professional and managerial classes -- that they can look forward
to an extremely prosperous retirement.

That expectation poses a serious mid-decade danger. At each stage
in the lives of baby boomers, they have reshaped a different aspect
of American society. Toward the end of the decade, many of these
boomers will be heading toward full or partial retirement. Given
their net worth, they have an expectation that they will be in a
position to reduce their productivity as they approach 60 years of
age.

Money will stop pouring into 401(k)s and into the stock market.
Withdrawals will begin. Houses will be sold. A fairly sudden,
massive downward pressure on both equity and housing prices will be
experienced. A massive shift in psychology will, we think, also
take place. As equity and real estate prices begin to slip, boomers
see their net worth at risk. There will be a tendency to liquidate
vulnerable holdings and lock in value. The ingredients for an
intense panic, with extended consequences will be very much
present.

Presidential Politics in the Next Ten Years

A United States as powerful politically and militarily as it is now
is a problem for the world, but not a particularly dangerous one.
Prosperity tends to make people less concerned with politics, and
less worried about the rest of the world.

It is startling to note, when we compare the 2000 elections to
those in 1980, for example, how little controversy there is over
issues and ideologies. Except for marginal candidates like Pat
Buchanan, the differences among candidates have more to do with
personality and character than with principle or issues. This is
certainly the case when we compare the situation with the Reagan-
Carter election. It is also startling to realize how little
interest there is in the outcome of the election. In good times,
politics appears uninteresting and marginal.

Pat Buchanan's presidential campaign intrigues us, not because he
is going to win, but because he reminds us of Barry Goldwater in
1964. Despite the fact that few ideological similarities exist
between the two, they are both precursors. Goldwater had no chance
of winning in 1964, but he was a precursor for Reagan's
conservatism. Just as Goldwater represented an emerging trend in
1964, we think that Buchanan represents an emerging trend in 2000.

Goldwater posed the first systematic attack on liberal orthodoxy in
1964. Buchanan is posing the first systematic attack on the twin
orthodoxies of free trade and U.S. global responsibility.
Buchanan's arguments will appeal only to a small segment of
Americans during the boom times of 2000. However, during the
economic difficulties we predict for later in the decade, anti-free
trade sentiment will have a much broader audience, along with a
general resentment against the world as a whole.

Fast forward to 2008 and assume that we are right in our forecasts.
American military power will still be paramount, if not quite as
absolute as it is today. But as economic troubles arrive, the easy
consensus will unravel. Politics will once again be important and
the election of 2008 will matter. The issues will also be
dramatically redefined.

As was visible in the late 1980s, economic constraints generate
protectionist sentiments in the United States. Part of this derives
from a culture that feels the rest of the world is taking advantage
of the United States. Part of it comes from rational economic
reality. Asian exports are far more tolerable in boom times than in
bad times. During economic downturns, there is a general tendency
toward protectionism. This is particularly the case when,
regardless of magnitude, the downturn generates insecurity among
pivotal sectors. By 2008, we would expect large sectors of the
public to resonate to protectionist and isolationist doctrines.

Forecast

Our expectation is that political discourse will slowly redefine
itself in the course of the decade, with the dividing issue in
American life being free trade versus protectionism. The worse the
downturn of the latter part of the decade, the more powerful the
protectionist forces will become.

It is vital to understand, of course, that a round of protectionist
measures by the United States late in the decade will have profound
effects on the international system. Most important, as the United
States disengages from the Eastern Hemisphere, powerful
hegemonistic forces will emerge in Eurasia that will tend to
destabilize the international system as a whole. That will leave a
politically resentful, militarily powerful America, suffering from
serious but far from catastrophic economic dysfunction, facing an
increasingly unstable world.

It is therefore our view, to be discussed in more detail in the
context of Europe and Asia, that economic destabilization in the
United States will contribute greatly to a massive rise in
international tension late in the decade. Several great powers will
arise throughout Eurasia, challenging American primacy. The
competition among those powers and between them and the United
States will be intense, complex and dangerous. It will lack the
elegant simplicity of the Cold War, posing instead the mind-numbing
complexity of the pre-World War I period.

Thus, we forecast continuation of the current economic expansion
through the first half of the decade, along with the general
political stability we are experiencing. However, in the second
half of the decade, it appears to us that the United States will
move, after a generation of expansion, into a period of relative
economic distress. This distress will be both smaller and shorter
than the boom that preceded it, but it will nevertheless trigger
domestic political forces that will not only reshape the United
States domestically, but will pose serious problems for the
international system as a whole.

(c) 1999, Stratfor, Inc. http://www.stratfor.com/

or send your name, title, organization, address, phone number, and
e-mail to alert@stratfor.com

STRATFOR.COM 504 Lavaca, Suite 1100 Austin, TX 78701
Phone: 512-583-5000 Fax: 512-583-5025
Internet: http://www.stratfor.com/
Email: info@stratfor.com

Patrick Bond
(Wits University Graduate School of Public and Development Management)
home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, Johannesburg
office: 22 Gordon Building, Wits University Parktown Campus
mailing address: PO Box 601 WITS 2050
phones:  (h) (2711) 614-8088; (o) 488-5917; fax 484-2729
emails:  (h) pbond@wn.apc.org; (o) bondp@zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za