< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Nobel, Noble and Nobble Prizes

by Emilio José Chaves

26 December 1999 08:12 UTC

Dear list-participants,
Recent news about Washington D.C. meeting with Chomsky, Angela Davis, and
other important groups representatives added more light and hopes to the
initial world-party/movement topic of this list.
Another good new, from Stockholm: the Alternative Economics Nobel Prize
(Right Livelihood Award) was given, among others, to two amazonian indians
(Tomas Roman and Pascual Letuama) and anthropologist/sociologist Martin Von
Hilldebrand and Helga Dworschak, in representation of Coama (Amazonic
Consolidation). Together they worked a project on defending world jungles
based on native communities wisdom and active control. In a press
conference, they explained native amazonian concept of development: "prior
to territory development arrangements, we must arrange our thinking,
considering that it deals with a living-plan before a developing one, as
occident calls the extraction and exploitation of non re-newable natural
resources without consulting native interests, nor their ethnical, cultural
and biologic value, impossible to measure. They seek the integration of
aspects like education, because jungle is the class room for peoples, and
health, because it depends on the equilibrium of our actions for a sane
environment. This one, on turn, depends on the way in which people
integrates in preserving nature. They seek a viable economy -which does not
renounce to its productive character- planned and executed by them, under
their control." (partial translation from spanish at:
( http://home3.swipnet.se/~w-34817/dec/991211_nobel.html )

Observing all the art, creativeness, imagination and humour displayed by
popular communities and groups when facing oppresors, as a form of
resistance and building sense of integration and identity, it may be nice
consider, if not yet done, the idea of creating a kind of world peoples
award to those men/women distinguished by their contribution and sacrifice
in resisting oppresion, helping Noble causes, and defending the rights of
people against prejudice and world elites devastation. ONGs, and groups,
like those present at Seattle, would propose men/women/groups candidates to
the prize according to their field of interest and contribution, and
information would be shared with other ONGs and groups. This would show how
many fields and styles of personal and collective heroism exist, serve as a
mutual educational tool, and as a motive of mutual- pride and reafirmation.
Urgent Noble prizes might be conceded according to the moment. If today,
perhaps Mumia and Peltier should be the must urgent ones to be awarded
inside U.S. because their life, freedom and dignity are part of ours.
Organizing details and procedures are open for ideas.
The other Nobble Prizes would be given to those infamous personalities
/transnationals/institutions dedicated to further "improper relationships"
that hurt social and ecological justice, peaceful human convivence, and
cultural brotherhood. According to my dictionary, word Nobble means: 1) to
disable or harm, 2)to win over by bribery or other underhanded methods,
cheat or swindle.
If present madness was built from mainstream rationality, perhaps,
following
popular artists and humorists, we might add the logics of madness and
humour
as a nice tool to face their dangerous solemness. (That is what Cervantes
did with don Quixote in a time of Inquisition).
Recently, a friend told me that if Monica had not open her mouth,
Monicagate
would have not existed. I did not undertand his joke-face because according
to my logics textbook, from any counter-factual premise we may derive any
proper/improper relationship or conclussion. Please, let me know about
recent contributions on improper relationships.
Thanks for season greetings sent, and a nice millenium to all of you.
Emilio