< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

just in case

by Spectors

19 December 1999 03:15 UTC

Just in case there are any others still out there on WSN land who are still unsure about the debate over sociobiology because they: A) believe that humans are biological but (B) don't like some of the sexist, racist, anti-working class statements associated with sociobiology, but (A) they don't want to appear to be "Against Biology" --- here is a simple distillation (I hope it's reasonably accurate) of some of the far more eloquent explanations given by Andy, Boris, Mark, Steve, Wojtek, and numerous others.

(I've heard this argument and so have many of you, I'm sure)

The moon exerts enormous gravitational force on the Earth. Millions and millions of tons of water are "pulled up" from the Earth's surface, what we call "tides" , by the tremendous force of the moon's gravity. So now that we know that celestial bodies can exert such an enormous impact on millions of tons of water, it seems obvious that the position of Mars and Jupiter, lined up with Venus, could certainly have an impact on people's behavior. After all, they would only have to affect very tiny amounts of biochemicals in people's brains, for example. Much less than the millions of tons of water pulled by the moon. Therefore, the study of ASTROLOGY is a realistic form of empirically verifiable science, and anyone who rejects Astrology is simply blinded by ideology and is in the same category of those superstitious people who deny the existence of gravity.

Furthermore, female mammals have various biological cycles that have somewhat regular time intervals. In fact lots of animals have biological cycles. Therefore, the "science" of Biorhythms, which asserts that all humans have three cycles -- emotional, physical, and mental-- based on various intervals of 28, 29, and 31 (or something like that) should be embraced by the social and medical sciences. For example, people should be careful of exerting themselves when they are having "critical" down days in all three categories.  And anyone who refuses to accept the study of Biorhythms as a science is simply in ideological denial of biology. They are against biology because biology has shown that there are some rhythms.

Most on this list would dismiss both arguments. (As a side point, notice how both of these are really just [slightly] cruder versions of the same kind of fatalism-determinism found in sociobiology!)

We would dismiss those arguments because it is too much of a stretch to assert such specific consequences from such general theories.

So for those of you, like me, who are deeply interested in biology and have a deep respect for science, ---yes, you can feel confident that you can reject the philosophical musings of a man (EOWilson) who watched bugs and anthropomorphised their behavior to suit his ideology and then took his anthropomorphised statements about the bugs and other critters and applied it back to humans -- in other words circular reasoning dressed up and disguised by metaphor --- well, you can feel confident that you can reject the nonsensical, theological fatalism. It doesn't make you "Against Biology."

It means that you understand biology in a holistic, dialectical sense as being internally complex, dynamic, and changing and externally interconnected-interactive with other forces. It simply means that you reject the style of argument that takes a "Glittering Generality" and mechanistically applies it to situations far more complex than the "Glittering Generality" can grasp.

Alan  ("Show me the DNA and its interaction with the environment") Spector