< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Iraq

by George Pennefather

18 December 1999 20:36 UTC

Washington's promise to suspend sanctions within a year or so if Iraq
agrees to a weapons
inspection programme cannot be believed. Once the inspectorate is in Iraq
the previous
imperialist process
may be repeated. The inspectorate will always want to become more invasive
provoking Iraq
into preventing further inspections. This response by Iraq will then be
used to delay
ending its embargo on Iraq.

At the very least the establishment of a UN inspectorate in Iraq will
strengthen
Washington's hand allowing it more options. It can if so wishes use the
inspectorate as a
means to delay or call off the ending of the embargo. It is interesting to
see that Russia
and China merely abstained. As I understand it they have a veto on the
Security
Council --just shows how pro-western and weak they are

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.eircom.net/~beprepared/