< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

the Marxist critique of sociobiology, one more category

by Mark Douglas Whitaker

13 December 1999 18:50 UTC

        I should have added a seventh category for sociobiology: the 25 year
plus Marxist critique of sociobiology, which has been offered to the list:
the economic basis of sociobiological arguments.
        I would enjoy reading your entire paper if you could foward it to
me. I feel that is the clearest exposition I have seen and it covers many
topics.

>To illustrate "consilience," Wilson interprets the 1994 genocide in
>Rwanda.  He writes that it was partly an example of "ethnic rivalry
>run amuck," reflecting our genetically based tribal instincts. It
>also had a "deeper cause, rooted in environment and demography."

        Funny. I thought it was the IMF.

> France, Egypt, South Africa, Russia,
>and other imperialists armed rival factions in Rwanda.  Nationalist
>leaders in Rwanda recruited, incited, and armed the "teenage
>soldiers."   Pres. Clinton prevented the US Government and the UN from
>intervening to halt the genocide.

        Let's add the recent blitzgrieg of Yugoslavia and notice that it is
WE who are creating this fascist project, and imposing it on others. WE.
It's simply a different discourse from 'national expansion' or 'military
glory'--switched to either 'the imposition of human rights,' 'peacekeeping,'
or 'modernization.'
        The IMF is the major proposer of export oriented policies. It's
major backers financially are the United States and Germany, who were
INCIDENTALLY the military pressures for the external dismantling of
Yugoslavia.
        Of course many know very little about the sociological and policial
effects of extraction economies, particularly ones like coffee (Rwanda)
which had worldwide competition and would have generated a very low price.

Regards,

Mark Whitaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison