< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

tactics revisited (fwd)

by Richard N Hutchinson

13 December 1999 04:31 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:19:22 -0700 (MST)
From: Richard N Hutchinson <rhutchin@U.Arizona.EDU>
To: Ole Fjord Larsen <peoples@post4.tele.dk>
Subject: tactics revisited

Key excerpts:

1)
> Basically, hooligans - whether paid by the corporations
> or subject to anarchist ideology - therefore are factual
> enemies of the people.

2)
> The hooliganism in Seattle therefore must be strongly
> condemned, because it unnecessarily reduced the sympathy
> in the world population whom we represent, and
> considerably discouraged the vast majority of the
> demonstrators who up until then had been in great
> enthusiatic spirit.

3)
> The coordinating group of the participating organisations
> must to an even higher degree than this time prepare the
> demonstrators for knocking down and turning over to the
> police any anwanted hooligans.
>
> Ole Fjord Larsen,
> member of United Peoples

1)
I don't know who the "United Peoples" are, or who put them in charge of
the world's demonstrations, but I utterly reject the use of the term
"hooligan" and "hooliganism," which was the old Soviet Union regime's term
for its opponents.

2)
I also reject the analysis here.  I have already said that I believe the
militant Seattle protests inspired more working people around the world
than they alienated.  Until someone produces hard evidence one way or
another, I stand by this claim.

3)
Finally, saying we will deliver the "too militant" into the hands of the
authorities is outrageous.  It seems to me that it is those who take
this position deserve the epithet "factual enemies of the people."

RH