< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Race: real or imagined?

by Charlie Stevens

09 December 1999 18:57 UTC

With regard to Richard Hutchinson's post, I have not, thankfully, received
Rushton's text but accepting Hutchinson's over view of the text, I can
present an anthropological perspective on these views:

>I just received the Rushton tract in the mail today.
>
>At a glance, here is what his central claim seems to be:
>
>1) Environmental conditions in sub-Saharan Africa, with malaria and other
>rampant tropical diseases, were conducive to an "r strategy" of
>reproduction in humans:  bear lots of young, but don't care for them too
>much because most of them will die.

Humans are K strategists, period. Europeans also had high fertility rates
well into the historical period for reasons having nothing to do with
malaria and everything to do with the urbanized consequences of capitalist
expansion.  Malaria was common in Italy and Rome during the times of the
early Roman empire, indeed the name "malaria" comes from the Latin "bad
air" which they thought to be the cause of the disease.  Fertility
early "democracy" whose standard now adorns the US house of representatives.

>2) When humans migrated out of Africa, they encountered different
>environmental conditions which were conducive to a "K strategy" of
>reproduction:  bear fewer young, but care after them more and ensure their
>survival.

The human species that initially migrated out of Africa was Homo erectus
and the event happened at least 1.25 million years ago. Malaria and the
genetic consequences of selection for the heterozygote individual that
carries the trait for the sickling red blood cell developed when the
development of agriculture in Africa brought humans into more frequent
contact with the two species of mosquitos that serve as the vector for the
three variants of the malaria plasmodium. Under those conditions, a genetic
mutation in the coding of hemoglobin gained selective advantage in the
heterozygote only (the homozygote for sickling blood cells and the
homozygote for normal red blood cells had poor reproductive fitness).  The
vector and the plasmodium quickly migrated into the entire circum
Mediterranean area including into area whose Homo erectus ancestors would
eventually develop into white guys and gals.  There is some justification
in the idea that there were three separate Homo erectus migrations that
formed three reproducing populations (demes) but gene flow, the strongest
force of evolution for the human species by far, prevented the formation of
distinct and separate human populations. Hence, there resulted a host of
brown, tan, whitish, and black skinned humans with an assortment of hair
types, eye colors, morphological characters in stature and height
distributed throughout the Eurasian, African and Australian continental
areas. Distinct and pure "races" never developed. In short, if you look
back far enough, we are all mutts.

>3) This resulted in 3 races (Negroids, Mongoloids, Caucasoids) or
>subspecies with different traits that are adaptations to the environment
>via reproductive strategy.  These traits include intelligence, aggression,
>and so forth.  Basically, the Negroids are less intelligent and more
>aggressive because these traits were selected for as part of a package of
>traits that go along with the "r strategy" of reproduction.

See above with regards to the distribution of morphological
characteristics.  The idea that white folks are less aggressive than
peoples of African origin, given the history and brutality of European
expansion is absurd.  Further, there is no paleo demographic evidence that
I am aware of that supports the idea of high fertility in Africa but not in
Europe for the prehistoric period. Indeed, rapid population growth is a
characteristic of all societies during times of economic stress. How does
Rushdon directly link high reproductive rates with aggression and how does
that link to lower inherent intelligence NECESSARILY?

>4)  These racially/genetically different traits *partially* explain, along
>with current environmental factors, differences in crime rates, family
>structure, IQ, etc, etc, among the 3 "races."
>
>** ** ** ** **
>
>Rushton's racial theory is a particular subcategory of the larger whole,
>which includes Murray, Hernstein (?), etc.  His theory, although clearly
>ideologically motivated and not well supported, is logically a perfectly
>reasonable application of Darwinian evolutionary principles.

Not unless he demonstrates form the archaeological evidence that those who
appropriated a higher fertility rate necessarily had higher reproductive
fitness. Given the idea that higher reproduction was required to compensate
for higher infant mortality, there is no reason to assume that the higher
fertility necessarily resulted in higher surviving offspring (as opposed to
a strategy of having few children but working to assure their survival) and
therefore higher differential reproduction. How, as well, does he explain
the obvious and continuing gene flow between these races? We know that
human reproduction is characterized universally by positive assortative
mating. If the brown folks were stupid and the white folks were smart, and
smart folks disproportionately reproduce with smart folks, then how did the
hybridization that is evident in the spectrum of morphology of humans in
the entire old world come about?  It seems like flawed Darwinism but
perfect Social Darwinism to me.

>To refute it requires only challenging each factual claim and causal
>claim.
>
>For instance, Rushton claims that the racial differences that are his
>dependent variable are real.  This is obviously open to challenge.
>
>Beyond that, his argument has several steps of causal logic, none of which
>is more than speculative and can easily be challenged:
>
>1) different environments cause differing reproductive strategies
>         in human populations,

Environmental determinism has never by itself explained differential
reproduction in any human group. Indeed, even in the historical period, the
"demographic transition" can not be explained by reference to a single
deterministic factor. This assertion is horse pucky.

>2) differing reproductive strategies cause differing clusters of
>         biological traits,

No form of intelligence or other human trait (aggression) is simply
determined by biology no direct relationship between overt morphology and
intelligence has ever been conclusively established. That doesn't mean that
strongly supported arguments should be brought to bear on Rushton's thesis,
only that the data are already not in his favor.

>3) clusters of traits persist (because they are genetic) under new
>         environmental conditions (ie, blacks in the U.S. and Caribbean
>         have the same traits as blacks in Africa, Asians outside of Asia
>         have the same traits, etc),

How do these traits persist separately in the face of evident gene flow in
human populations? Further, IQ evidence also could be interpreted as
showing that Asians are more intelligent that Europeans since that America
Asian population does seem to score higher on standardized tests.

So....my 2.5 cents worth.
C. Stevens