< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Violent Protesters put up to it?

by Judi Kessler

04 December 1999 02:30 UTC

Folks, within every major protest are folks who think with their knee-jerk
emotions rather than with their hearts and heads.
I recognized one of the "violent" protestors on footage from CNN. She is a
grad student here from Europe who is passionate about her politics and a
bit short-tempered.
It takes a tremendous amount of discipline *not* to overreact in the
social environment that characterized the Seattle protests.
Gandhi's principles and strategy of non-violent protest are not easy to
master. I am surprised that the acts of violence were as limited as they
were.
The conspiracy theory just doesn't wash with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer;
a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman;
but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart
is an artist" Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Judi A. Kessler
Center for U.S.-Mexican Studies
University of California, San Diego