< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

markets

by Paul Gomberg

01 December 1999 16:02 UTC

Randy,

I am not sure what research you are referring to, but as far as I know
capitalist markets are governed by very different norms from
pre-capitalist markets. On the latter, see Marshall Sahlins' "On the
Sociology of Primitive Exchange" in *Stone Age Economics*.

In Capital Marx tried to explain the logic implicit in the norms
governing capitalist exchange as a theory of historical development. He
envisioned a society, communism, where human beings would govern their
social relationships by rational plan (in the German Ideology he called
this the full form of self-activity, a theme he continues through the
Grundrisse and Capital).

If I am right about this, then it is still important for someone who
agrees with me about the importance of replacing markets by planning to
explain how we will overcome the problems cited in an earlier post in
making planning work.  I agree that it is not enough to show that
capitlaism makes life miserable.  We have to show how communism
(centalized planning) can work despite the problems in its earlier
implementations.

Paul