< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

the right and the good

by John_R_Groves

30 November 1999 15:46 UTC

Dear Ed: your response is one I expected and is current in the literature in
political philosophy. THere the idea is that while some agreement on "the
right"
is possible, people's ideas of what the "good" is vary widely and are not
subject to rational analysis. In response I will borrow the next move in
that
debate and say we need at least a minimal conception of
good/self-realization if
our pol phil is to be a rational one. How can we plan to acquire x when we
don't
know what x is?

By a minimal conception of the good is meant goods that are necessary
whatever
other good one wants. Health might be a good example. Whatever one wants,
health
is a necessary condition of getting and enjoying it. So socialized health
care
might be a goal for a wp.

All for now,

Randy Groves