< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

justice and self-realization in WS analysis: justice isn't enough

by John_R_Groves

30 November 1999 05:22 UTC

Dear colleagues: Something has been moving around in my mind for some time
now,
and I sort of wanted other's opinion. From following and participating in
debates concerning justice in the world system I began to wonder if
something
important wasn't missing. It occurs to me that a single-minded focus on
justice
is misguided. Justice is really a procedural matter as indicated by the two
most
influential political ethicists of the 20th century, Rawls and Habermas. If
so,
then justice cannot be the sole end of a political philosophy. Justice isn't
enough.

There is more to ethics than justice, there is self-realization. That is the
lesson Nietzsche teaches us. Let's imagine a fair society. Now what? Is
justice
all we want? Don't we want to actually _do_ something besides make sure
everyone
is happy with the hand they are dealt?

With that thought in mind--I realize it is a bit enigmatic and in need of
clarification--one wonders what sort of thing is the proper end of political
philosophy? In my view, we have to ask what it is we want a world system to
accomplish. (That, it turn, makes us ask what it is reasonable to believe
can be
accomplished, but more on that later.)There has to be more to life than
insuring
that we all have a fair opportunity to eat, shit and procreate. What do we
want
to accomplish as a ws, which ultimately means, what do we want to
accomplish as
humanity (although with a wider environmental consciousness)?

To shift a bit, but not really, this makes more sense from the point of
view of
rational choice theory. If we don't know our goal, how can we figure out a
fair
way to get there?

Some options:

1. Knowledge of the universe.
2. Cultural excellence.
3. Ecstatic personal and interpersonal experience. (love, sex, personal
enlightenment, sport, games)
4. Particular technical goals: long and healthy life-spans, space travel,
aesthetic living environments, cool gadgets.

The above is off the top of my head, but there it is.

Randy Groves