< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Ideology and the conditional nature of bourgeois democracy

by Spectors

26 November 1999 15:39 UTC

Canada's relatively liberal court system is only a temporary situation, as
is the case in all class societies. The Canadian ruling class, (the richest
capitalists), like the U.S. capitalist class, the British, the Italians etc.
are able to tolerate political dissent because it does not pose any serious
threat to their power. Like the British, Italians, U.S., etc., they have
been more than willing, on various occasions, to lend important support to
murderous fascist regimes in other countries -- demonstrating that their
commitment to " tolerant, liberal democracy" is not a universal principle
for them, but rather a tactic which they turn off when their profits are
threatened.

And this is not just related to imperialism. When I was very young, I was
told that the two countries in South America which would never have
dictatorships, because they were so Europeanized and had long,
constitutional, democratic traditions, were URUGUAY and CHILE.  Well,
fascist governments took power there and murdered tens of thousands. Then
there is the "world's oldest democracy" the so-called "birthplace of
democracy" -- Greece, which endured a fascist military that murdered
thousands as recently as the 1970's. And Argentina's foray into mass murder
and disappearances of thousands, defended by Jeanne Kirkpatrick --U.S.
Secretary of State, who said: "At least they aren't atheists." or something
like that.  These countries aren't even the ones most often discussed, like
Rwanda or the Congo in the early 1900's. These are relatively Europeanized
(or European) countries. And who can forget the CANADIAN government's
journey into a police state, under the pretext of stopping the FLQ in the
early 1970's resulting in a suspension of the rules of liberal democracy in
Canada as many were arrested without evidence. In the U.S. they have been
doing it more subtly, jailing the victims of capitalism such that there are
now nearly two million people in jail -- in some places, 30% of the black,
male population now have serious criminal records while the police protect
drug houses with the consent of local politicians.  What I call "liberal,
bourgeois democracy" is only a temporary tactic of capitalism -- it is not
rooted in the value system of the mass murderers who run the system.

----
As to ideology, it would be interesting to examine how the Nazis were able
to hold onto power. Was it because the great masses of German people were
won to a deep understanding of the complex, contradictory mythology that was
Nazi philosophy? Or was it because PRAGMATISM -- the opposite of strong
philosophical beliefs -- the result of only trying to get through the day
rather than understanding social processes -- in other words the PRACTICAL,
positivist, "I'll just go along with it." attitude that is being taught
today in our schools -- that attitude is what left the working class and
other anti-fascists intellectually disarmed and unable to combat the
fanatics?

Does philosophy come from our experiences with the world, especially our
social relations? Or does it come from some type of structure in the human
brain that makes us want to make other people agree with us so that we can
dominate them?  Marxism, with all its weaknesses, has as its great strength,
its attempts to locate the source and development of social processes and
ideas within the realm of social practice and social interaction.

If you locate it somewhere else, that is when you open the door to
irrationalism, fanatical philosophies, even the ones that pose as being
"level-headed" and sensible, while their killing machines murder millions
and set up the murders of hundreds of millions more.

Alan Spector