< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: violence, revolution & clairvoyance

by Elson

23 November 1999 15:31 UTC

I agree with everything you write as well as Amin's work, which I admire --
and Amin himself who is a very personable person.

Your last paragraph underscores that we've been talking past each other,
because I've not been focusing on what is likely to happen or what we should
do about it (which was somewhat irrelevant to my concern: the principles of
a WP).

I've consistently argued that violence should not be made a PRINCIPLE of a
WP.  (I argued how a WP ought to respond to a difficult situation -- such as
when violent wars or violence erupts -- would have to be collectively
decided, and thus should not be a pre-determined violent reaction set fourth
in the WP's principles.

The reason for this position is simple:  I think a WP should try to get
everyone on board who believes capitalism is a lousy system -- including a
number of people who are attracted to Amnesty I, Greenpeace, NGOs sponsored
by progressive Churches (like those I've worked with in Asia which are
pro-choice and working to aid worker), as well as Leninists.   But a WP will
end up being a group of only the latter if one espouses violence as a
principle.

Violent overthrow of some states may be useful in some situations.  But it
shouldn't be a principle of a WP.  In relation to forming a potentially
large coalition, espousing violence will put off a very large number of
organizations and individuals who agree that capitalism should be
transformed into a more equitable system.

Long live the egalitarian anti-systemic movements