< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: a violent revolution?

by João Paulo Dias

22 November 1999 18:25 UTC

At 16:57 19/11/99 -0500, wwagar@binghamton.edu wrote:

>       Tanya is absolutely right.  I would only add that since we deplore
>structural as well as direct violence, we should turn to violence in our
>revolution as a last, not a first, resort.  The end justifies the means,
>but it is irrational to proceed to the worst possible means without having
>exhausted--or at least tried--all the others.
>
>       Warren Wagar

To Warren Wagar

If you don't succeed, by all the "first" means, and if you fail to be
undestood because it's not the will of people would you go to violent means
to reach your goals? Would you go to a violent revolution? In the name of
whom? Against whom? Who would you invite to join you?
Romantic views but with very practical and understandable objectives... I
rather work on civical projects in the long-term... with specific targets
without using violent means. I have the patience to wait and work on
alternative ways of living and acting. Which projects are you inolved in,
if I can ask?
João Paulo Dias

Centro de Estudos Sociais
Colégio de S. Jerónimo