< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: praxeology of world change

by g kohler

21 November 1999 21:11 UTC

David and friends,

on the subject of pessimistic worldviews versus worldviews of hope, I found something interesting in a book by a woman theologian of the "liberation theology" school. She has a chapter, entitled "Against the luxury of hopelessness". The general drift of the chapter is that "hopelessness" is a luxury cultivated by the (or, some of the) rich (she does not say "capitalists"). She tells all kinds of observations and stories from her work in Latin America. "My observation tells me that people were the more without hope the more they were intelligent, educated and knowledgable. ... I found hope among those working at the base who had less of on overview, more simplistic analysis, less possibility for action...." After a lecture she gave in Lima, Peru, a theologian from the audience gave her a poem which summed up her own views [Leninists of wsn, just overlook the first word:]

God in the Garbage

I have been asked
what is the source of your hope.
I realize
it is not my hope
but the hope of the poor.

I go on
because of the faith
of these shit peasants
the cockroaches of this city
the rats in the street

who insist to survive
against every attempt
to crush them
to take their lives
which they love in their way

just as I cannot give up the hope
that we will not perish

[end of poem][the original was presumably in Spanish]

REFERENCE: Dorothee Soelle, Gott im Muell. Munich, Germany: dtv, 1992, p. 164; my translation]

Au revoir dans l'espace cyber

Gert Kohler
Oakville, Canada