< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Cuba

by Broome P

19 November 1999 18:42 UTC

Hello Cameron,

You may find these of interest:

Huberman, L. & Sweezy, P. (1960) Cuba: Anatomy of a Revolution. London:
Routledge & Kegan Paul.
Chaps. 10;11;12 on structural reform and the Cuban economy.

Wright Mills, C. (1960) Castro's Cuba. London: Secker & Warburg.
Chap. 4 on economics

Ambursley, F. & Cohen, R. Eds. (1983) Crisis in the Caribbean. London:
Heinemann.
Chap. 3 on the Cuban worker's state and sugar harvest

Thomas, H. (1986) The Cuban Revolution. London: Weidefeld & Nicolson.
Esp. Chps. 3 on sugar and tobacco and Epilogue on "the 10 million ton
harvest". Many other items re: exterior effects on Cuban development.

Gerassi, J. Ed. (1968) VENCEREMOS! The Speeches and Writings of Ernesto Che
Guevara. London: Weidefeld & Nicolson.
Contains much on a Cuban perspective of under-development, economics and
effects of US imperialism/economic policies. See esp. Chap. 3 on Che's
concern for the country's underdevelopment

Bonachea, R. & Valdés. Eds. (1972) Revolutionary Struggle: The selected
works of Fidel Castro. Volume 1. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Though mostly on the revolution, contains letters and excerpts on
anti-imperialism in the context of the Cuban economy and (under)development.

Third World Quarterly, Vol. 13 (1992) contains a great deal on 'democracy
and development/underdevelopment' in a regional Latin American context with
many examples on Cuba.

See also Robinson, W. (1995)  "Pushing polyarchy: the US-Cuba case and the
Third World", TWQ, 16 (4).

Lisio, S. (1996) "Helms-Burton and the point of diminishing returns".
Journal of International Affairs, 71 (4).

Cross, P. (1992) "Soviet perestroika: the Cuban effect" TWQ, 13 (1).

Rivero, N. "Cuba trade policy in transition".
http://www/lanic.utexas.edu/la/cb/cuba/asce/cuba3/rivero.html

Hope you find these of use.

Regards, Paul.

Paul Broome